Michigan Roundabouts & Resources
“Intersections are hazardous locations! But what proceeded them — four-way stop-sign controlled intersections — are hardly a panacea, and indeed linked to far more fatal crashes than roundabouts.“~ Tom Vanderbilt, author of Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)
- Citizen Recommendations for Traverse City’s Division St
- Division St. Presentation from April 26, 2010 (full screen)
- Traffic Modeling Results from 2010 for Division St.
- Slides: Pedestrian Safety and Accessibility Considerations at Modern Roundabouts (PDF)
- WI-DOT Roundabout Guidelines
- Latest NCHRP report: Roundabouts and Pedestrians with Disabilities
- Design Options for Crosswalks at Roundabouts
- Comprehensive Safety Review of the Modern Roundabout (PDF)
Why roundabouts over standard signalized intersections:
Current MI roundabouts
UPDATED: March 2011
56 are located on the map. There are likely more. Please send a message if you see one missing.
The goal in Traverse City is informed consent. The roundabouts proposed for Division St. and Grandview Parkway are a compromise that promises to maintain flow of motorists, most likely decreasing travel time, while ameliorating some of the issues involving 1) pedestrian/bicycle access 2) over all safety 3) context sensitivity to the neighborhoods/parkland 4) quality of life issues.
The community deserves an educated decision. Roundabout Resources:
Navigating Michigan’s Roundabouts
- MDOT’s Entry point into roundabouts
- Northwestern Connector: 8 roundabouts in Farmington Hills
- Grand Rapids Roundabout Brochure (PDF)
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments
- Grand Rapids animation (click the mode for demonstration)
- Washtenaw County Road Commission How to drive a roundabout page
Safety & Engineering
- FHWA: Roundabouts – A Safer Choice
- USDOT: Roundabouts – An Informational Guide
- Arizona DOT: Learn how to drive a roundabout
- NY-DOT’s Roundabout First policy (PDF)
- Museum of Modern Roundabouts
- And of course, Roundabout USA
- Roundabout Q&A via Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Roundabouts in U.S.: Safety and Operational Impacts Study (PDF) technical report from National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
- Inventory of roundabouts: currently on record in United States.
- Do Roundabouts Work for Bicycles and Pedestrians?
- Again, do they? From Walking.info
- Video of pedestrians crossing & surviving a roundabout
- Pedestrian & bicycle only roundabouts (perhaps TC first)
- Leading research on visually impaired pedestrians and roundabouts
- Positive Effect of roundabout operations on pollutant emissions
- Emissions reduction study of NY roundabouts (PDF)
- Innovative storm-water treatment using a roundabout.
(These aren’t traffic circles)
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety on Roundabout safety:
Carmel Indiana has over 50 roundabouts. Their Midwestern Mayor introduces the city’s commitment to them in the following video.
More videos of MI Roundabouts:
- Gaylord Roundabout with Semi-truck
- Walking a Roundabout in Farmington Hills
- making a left at a signal in F. Hills
In The News
- USA Today Article: States embrace roundabouts for intersections