Reminder: No street harassment is too small to be reported
If you are walking or on a bicycle in Traverse City and someone in a car harasses you, buzzes you, or in any other way intentionally (as you see it) attempts to use their car as tool to bully you, call the TC Police Department non-emergency number:
Put that number in your phone now. TC Police 231-995-5150.
Call them with as much information as you can gather. Even if they can’t do anything about a single event, they keep a record of such events and it may help piece together a case down the line.
Any of the following information is helpful:
- Location: Is it at an intersection? Landmarks? Address?
- Conditions: Street condition? Street Design,… is there a bike lane? A crosswalk?
- Actions: What were you doing? What was the driver’s response?
- Injuries: Were you injured? Is anything damaged?
- Description: As much detail as possible? Licence plate number? Man or women? Hair color?
- Witnesses: Were there bystanders? Did you talk to them? Get their names?
* not intended to be comprehensive.
You have a right to the street!
A mantra I use sometimes in dodgy situations: Bikes Belong, I Belong. People belong, I belong.
- Just say’in, sometimes angry motorists deserve a little visit from our friends in blue
- Review of traffic types in Michigan
- Collection of bicycle laws in Michigan (M-Bike)
- “10 Secrets to Cycling with Traffic” (Bike Toronto)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are that of the author and do not represent the opinions of writers previously published here or any of the organizations, committees, commissions or other affiliation the authors may belong to, unless so stated.