Wrapping up the Week: Traverse City’s DDA extends drama 2 months
UPDATE from Friday morning’s DDA meeting concerning street food vendors:
This morning, the DDA board chose to punt forward 60 days on making an official recommendation to the ad hoc committee for Transient Merchant Food Vendor. The CC could simply move forward without their input, if they so desire. The board did, however, vote down recommendations proposed by the TC Street Food, which still has a petition up and running. So, we partly know where they stand.
Next week, I need a new subject, but allow me to draw your attention to one more perspective on the subject, La Vita Bella’s post titled, “What the Truck“….Pull quote:
When a business starts limiting a customer’s options to protect its own financial interests, rather than choosing to elevate its game or collaborate with other vendors or convince the customer it deserves their support, the customer’s desire to be a loyal patron understandably wanes. Suddenly, coming to that restaurant anymore no longer feels like the customer’s decision. It feels like the restaurant’s.
Bits of news, perspective, and what-not from the urbanist world
- After exploring a place where the licence plate costs more than the car, Urban Country revisits the Bicycle Kingdom with archive images –>
- We shall revisit this study soon: Yes, too much parking harms your city (Better Cities) A concept to pull from it, how much land is dedicated in your city to automobiles per person?
- Have you seen the bike snow plows in TC? (Tw) Seems like we aren’t the only place to use DIY to get to something started (Calgary)
But something happened that day. All the runners and cyclists who had grown accustomed to a cleared pathway started complaining to City Hall. Why haven’t you cleared the pathway yet, they asked. Get out and do your jobs…
- The Prez announces support for “Fix it First” (T4A) infrastructure spending aimed at the 70,000 structurally deficient bridges. (StreetsBLOG). Which aligns well with at least one local survey (MLUI). Statewide, one editorial calls for the reframing of the question: Transportation funding, not road funding (Freep) and, always a good practice, let’s remind ourselves the cost of a single lane of highway (Copenhagenize)
- And, when we do infrastructure, let’s think about the life-time costs…why I’m skeptical of snow-melting systems (M-Live)
- Micro-Apartments: How much space do you really need when you have great public spaces nearby? (Atlantic Cities)
A city is not for shutting yourself in your apartment, no matter the size. A city is where you retreat outside.
Tweet of the Week:
Short Doc: Going Car-free
Take a risk, it ain’t so bad
A Car-free Life from Brigitte Patenaude
Have a weekend!
Reminder: Before commenting, please read the comments policy. If you feel you need to rant against the world while raising enumerable tangential issues to personally attack individuals or organizations, consider creating your own blog and tracking back to MyWHaT. If it is of value, you will attract readers. Or, send me a message with all the rants you wish; I’m a connoisseur of ranting. Otherwise, please contribute to a healthy, friendly discussion in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are that of the author and do not represent the opinions of writers previously published here or any of the organizations, committees, commissions or other affiliation the authors may belong to, unless so stated.