Home > Chatter > When a tree falls on your car, it makes a very loud sound

When a tree falls on your car, it makes a very loud sound

A community-supported blogthank you.

Oh, Crunch!

File this under: Monday’s suck.

I came home to a naturally occurring traffic calming event yesterday, unfortunately my car was caught underneath it.

I wasn’t home, but neighbors were quick to call, tweet, and lend a helping hand–thank you to them. Everyone who had gathered was later calmed by the quick presence of the Lincoln Street public work crew. Thanks E! (Yes, you’re right, the front end loader is articulated).

As we waited for the trees to be cleared, beer was poured in honor of a car well driven and much appreciated. We shall see if it survives the calculations of the insurance company or if it is cast out to the scrapyard. If so, I’ll find a way around without it. After all, we can walk; we are designed to. And, it might just be time to get a peer-to-peer car share program up and running.

And, for the record, I’m still a strong supporter of 24-7 on-street parking.

Still, Monday’s suck.

Blank Here

1. September 25, 2012 at 9:33 am

Wow! So sorry to see this post! I do think there’s a meaning here somewhere…

2. September 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

Gary: Was this really an “accident” or is this a retaliatory act of The Man???

3. September 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ouch!!! So sorry for you. Glad you had the assistance of the DPW (Department of Preschool Works)

4. September 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

Actually…intent is questionable, but “The Man” was warned last year that their tree was dying and needed to come down. Instead of listening to a coalition of neighbors who have watched the tree’s slow demise, they chose to chop down the tree next to it instead. Investigation pending, but either-way I lose…the City and the insurance company are protected.

I’m not so sure there is meaning here, unless it is that I should consider moving to a City better suited to a car free life. I could just be sour, though.

5. Meh
    September 25, 2012 at 10:14 am

Glad no one was hurt!! That’s a real shame about your car, but I do think it was a message from the universe to stop supporting streets as parking lots😉

6. Megan Olds
    September 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

Sorry this happened to your car, Gary! Glad you weren’t in it.

7. Michele Howard
    September 25, 2012 at 11:46 am

When I saw you yesterday, so didn’t say anything! Sometimes I get so caught up in MYWorld that I forget about others like MyWhat. Thanks for the reminder to stop and hug your friend.

8. Nancy G.
    September 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Sorry for your loss Gary. And what a shame. She looks like she was a real beauty. I too wonder about the timing of the Fall…and I’m also “glad you weren’t in it.”

9. September 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Oh dear. Sorry about this. Though I don’t think we can quite implicate The Man in this mishap.

Looks like an autumn of bicylcing, walking and transit for you, I imagine?🙂

Speaking of being bipedal, I wanted to let you and your community know that I’m doing a giveaway of an excellent book: “Wild: From Lost To Found On The Pacific Crest Trail”. The author is heartful, wonderfully alternative. See my site for details.

10. rosshammersley
    September 28, 2012 at 9:44 am

Sorry to hear about that Gary… we’ll pour one out for your auto this weekend. Any difficulties with the insurance company?

11. October 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

time for bikes to pay license fees for road taxes and maint too!.