Buses & Health, Cities & Responsibilities, Physics & Cycling and the Ultimate Yarn Bomber
A quick reminder to contact the TC’s City Commissioners in support of honoring their spoken commitment to building something great along the Bayfront. With engaged & enthusiastic City Commissioners getting to excellence in 2012 is possible–without them, impossible.
….Also, come to the Civic Center tomorrow to see some Cyclocross action–there might even be a MyWHaT team.
- Looking at public transportation as critical health policy (NYTimes) On that note, congratulations to Benzie Bus for their new home base (MLUI)
- The physics to why people riding bikes roll through stop signs (SFBike-PDF) and having coffee with an officer, discussing laws & bicyclists (Bike Commuters) One blogger reaction to: “tell cyclists to follow the rules” (Urban Country)
- More cities exploring social media for civic engagement (AmericanCityCounty)
- Nationally, there are now 300 Complete Streets policies (CStreets) and here is a reminder that CS policies are not enough (PPS) and another calling for an occupation movement for complete Streets (American City)
- Faced with an indifferent or incapable government, Mexico City citizens build their own bicycle network (Big City)
At that point, the police arrived for the first time. We talked to them for a bit, but, like every time we have done this, we tell them we are just doing what government should be doing themselves.”
- The Energy Trap: A $490,000,000,000 a year gasoline bill (Energy Trap)
Darren Flenoy […] made a good salary as a security guard, saved his money and bought a home that he could afford in the far suburbs of the Bay Area in 2006. Inspired by a $6000 rebate that appeared to offset rising gas prices, he bought an SUV….”
- RT transportdata: Impact of storms on
#sprawl – “I was hysterical crying. I was cursing my boyfriend. I was asking, why did I move here.”
- RT urbandata: 1940:Americans’ time spent gardening & cooking. Now: spent hauling one’s $$$ car & tired ass to huge supermarket.
- RT Maddz4planning: Bike love is turning off someone else’s lights when you park your bike next to theirs.
- RT tinybuddha: “Information is not knowledge.” ~Einstein
- RT BrooklynSpoke: “I always tell people that I would rather drivers/cyclists be courteous to each other than to blindly obey the law.” AMEN.