Home > Announcement, Cultural Movement, Public Anecdotes, Representing > Go Vote: Visiting the Polls Pays-off in Unpredictable Ways

Go Vote: Visiting the Polls Pays-off in Unpredictable Ways

Engage & Represent

Go Vote…It will take you 5, maybe 10 minutes.

Who are you meeting at the polling station?

I prefer visiting the polls compared to absentee voting. Here in Traverse City,  I’ve rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes. Also, it is a shared experience, however brief it might be. It is communal.  I also prefer walking as it adds more of a sense of ritual. In a pinch for time, I’ll ride a bike. Either-way, I often start meeting neighbors en route to the my polling station–Precinct 8 (Can I get a shout out? P-8 Baby!)

At the polls I run into neighbors I haven’t seen in months. Years. I see old classmates. I have intelligent discussions with complete strangers. In 2002, a serendipitous encounter at the polls led to the adjunct position I’ve had at the college now for 9 years. This suggests that voting pays off, even if your candidates aren’t successful.

Pour a mug of coffee. Go to the polls. Vote. While you’re there, chat someone up.

Share your story here: who’d you meet?

__

Polls are open in Traverse City precincts 7am-8pm.

If you aren’t sure where you vote, plug in your info here.

For MyWHaT election coverage, search “TCVote”

1. November 8, 2011 at 8:17 am

P8 woot! Bring a ball and we’ll shoot some hoops! I found a cool site to determine where you vote in case anyone is wondering:

2. Jennifer
    November 8, 2011 at 8:39 am

P3! Lovely bumping in to John Noonan, Karen McCarthey, and Commissioner Carruthers. I guess that’s 4 yes votes for Prop 1. Perhaps only one write-in for mayor though.

3. November 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

Being a P8er myself, I believe your facts are wrong as I’ve NEVER had to wait to vote at Precinct 8. EVER.

I would add another suggestion: Take your kids with you to the polls. I realize this is not always convenient, but I believe it’s worth the extra effort. I want my kids to see that this is something we value in our family. As the saying goes, “Parents who vote have kids who vote.” I’ll be taking Maggie….hope to see you and your kids/beagles there too!

4. JohnRobertWilliams
    November 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

How about a shout-out for P9! I was the ONLY one in line (can it be a “line”, then?)…saw my Eastern Elementary School [Go Eastern!] classmate from First grade, on and life long friend…we chatted as we both left the school. Same lovely ladies working the same tables, same place, same joke very time..(they ask me for ID and show them my birthmark)…grosssss!
    Vote…..PERIOD!

5. rosshammersley
    November 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

P10 baby; loved bringing my 5 y.o. son to the poll with me this morning, and having him help me fill out my/our ballot. Just like with anything else, we can’t expect our kids to know how to be engaged citizens when they grow up unless we show them how!

6. Max
    November 8, 2011 at 9:57 am

Thanks for the link. I didn’t know that I vote at precinct 7. I just know it as Traverse Heights elementary school. I never see people I know there. I guess I don’t really know anyone in my neighborhood. I, too, like walking there, it feels good to walk and vote. That is, when you already know how you will vote. Today, though, is not one of those times, and I’m procrastinating.

7. November 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

P8 baby! As predicted, an excellent experience. Ran into the City’s A-Team out of the Clerk’s office; Benjamin and Katie are the bees-knees down at the Gov. Center–both of them radiate positivity. Results announced around 9pm.

8. November 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm

So I took Maggie with me….I instructed her to fill-in the ovals for BOTH candidates for TCAPS school board…..since there are only two candidates and we’re allowed for up to two, she observed that “They could get up to do a speech, do the Chicken Dance and still get elected”……