#TCVote Candidate Survey: Response from Dave Ford
|Address:||742 Washington St.|
|Seat Seeking:||City Commission|
1. What do you do in your spare time?
I like to go out to eat with my lovely wife and our friends. Family time. I am active in my church. I enjoy competitive distance running, brewing beer, vegetable gardening. I very much enjoy fishing and hunting when I can squeeze opportunities into my schedule._
2. What was the last activity you participated in at a Traverse City park?
On Saturday morning, I ran through Oleson’s meadow. Upon my loop towards home, I picked up trash in F&M park.
3. Name and describe the most memorable public park, anywhere in the world, that you’ve ever visited?
God has blessed us with great beauty. Here are some of my favorites: Bryan Park, Traverse City, Yellowstone, Royal Rose Garden, Portland, OR, and Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore.
4. What is your primary mode of transportation within the City limits?
5. On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the most likely, how would you rate your likelihood to increase your use of the following personal transportation methods?
(Answers in Bold & Black)
|Riding a bicycle||1||2||3||4||5|
|Calling a Cab||1||2||3||4||5|
6. In response to question 5, what is your biggest obstacle to more transportation options?
All 1’s. I have established an efficient pattern in my life. I have no obstacles.
7. Please rate your level of participation in the following Traverse City activities:
|National Cherry Festival||1||2||3||4||5|
|Traverse City Film Festival||1||2||3||4||5|
|Michigan Schooner Fest||1||2||3||4||5|
|Opera House Events||1||2||3||4||5|
|TC Microbrew & Music Festival||1||2||3||4||5|
8. What are your thoughts about large events, like those in question 7, in Traverse City?
I like the events. They are geared for fun and draw local as well as out of town visitors to our great city. The events are usually run by responsible organizers and volunteers. It is fun to participate and volunteer for these events.
9. Define, or give an example of, effective leadership that you have seen in Traverse City?
The Rotary Club of Traverse City has funded and championed the needs of many organizations in our 5 county area through generous donation towards worth projects.
The TC Area Chamber of Commerce is a champion for private industry as they look t expand business, industry, local employment, and the creation of wealth in our community.
Tom Menzel should be recognized as a business turnaround champion. Tom and his team reengineered BATA into a self sustaining transpiration venture in a short amount of time.
10. What are you for?
I am for expansion of profitable business ventures providing high quality job opportunities for people of the greater Grand Traverse area.
11. What do you fear for Traverse City’s future?
Traverse City has unlimited potential. It would be a shame to squander good business expansion opportunities.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This November 8th there are 3 commission seats and a mayoral seat on the ballot in Traverse City. To help us prepare, throughout this week we are running responses from the 9 candidates (7 commissioner, 2 mayoral) to the MyWHaT survey. These will run in the order that responses were received, one per day during the week and two each on Saturday and Sunday in the order of Michael Estes, Jim Carruthers, Barbara Budros, Robert Donick, David Ford, Patrick McGuire, Timothy Werner, Ralph Soffredine and Jeanine Easterday (names with embedded link have already been published).
Please note, the answers are published unedited without annotation. The questions were generated by the MyWHaT advisory council and this contributor. We chose a different path than asking straight-up positions on specific policy or issues. We wanted to get a sense of the person, their individual approaches to life, the public sphere and how they might make decisions.
Comments and endorsements are encouraged on any of these posts. You may even ask questions directly of the candidate, but I can not guarantee that they will respond or even see it. I just ask that we keep it friendly, brief and in-line with our comments policy.