Home > Elections, Guest Writer > #TCVote Candidate Survey: Response from Dave Ford

#TCVote Candidate Survey: Response from Dave Ford

Name: Dave Ford
Address: 742 Washington St.
Walk Score: A+
Age: 49
Seat Seeking: City Commission
Email Address:

1. What do you do in your spare time?

I like to go out to eat with my lovely wife and our friends. Family time. I am active in my church. I enjoy competitive distance running, brewing beer, vegetable gardening. I very much enjoy fishing and hunting when I can squeeze opportunities into my schedule._

2. What was the last activity you participated in at a Traverse City park?

On Saturday morning, I ran through Oleson’s meadow. Upon my loop towards home, I picked up trash in F&M park.

3. Name and describe the most memorable public park, anywhere in the world, that you’ve ever visited?

God has blessed us with great beauty. Here are some of my favorites: Bryan Park, Traverse City, Yellowstone, Royal Rose Garden, Portland, OR, and Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore.

4. What is your primary mode of transportation within the City limits?

Car

5. On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the most likely, how would you rate your likelihood to increase your use of the following personal transportation methods?

(Answers in Bold & Black)

Unlikely  Likely
Walking 1 2 3 4 5
Riding a bicycle 1 2 3 4 5
Transit 1 2 3 4 5
Calling a Cab 1 2 3 4 5
Driving 1 2 3 4 5

6. In response to question 5, what is your biggest obstacle to more transportation options?

All 1’s. I have established an efficient pattern in my life.  I have no obstacles.

7. Please rate your level of participation in the following Traverse City activities:

Low High
National Cherry Festival 1 2 3 4 5
Traverse City Film Festival 1 2 3 4 5
Michigan Schooner Fest 1 2 3 4 5
Opera House Events 1 2 3 4 5
TC Microbrew & Music Festival 1 2 3 4 5

8. What are your thoughts about large events, like those in question 7, in Traverse City?

I like the events. They are geared for fun and draw local as well as out of town visitors to our great city.  The events are usually run by responsible organizers and volunteers. It is fun to participate and volunteer for these events.

9. Define, or give an example of, effective leadership that you have seen in Traverse City?

The Rotary Club of Traverse City has funded and championed the needs of many organizations in our 5 county area through generous donation towards worth projects.

The TC Area Chamber of Commerce is a champion for private industry as they look t expand business, industry, local employment, and the creation of wealth in our community.

Tom Menzel should be recognized as a business turnaround champion. Tom and his team reengineered BATA into a self sustaining transpiration venture in a short amount of time.

10. What are you for?

I am for expansion of profitable business ventures providing high quality job opportunities for people of the greater Grand Traverse area.

11. What do you fear for Traverse City’s future?

Traverse City has unlimited potential. It would be a shame to squander good business expansion opportunities.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This November 8th there are 3 commission seats and a mayoral seat on the ballot in Traverse City. To help us prepare, throughout this week we are running responses from the 9 candidates (7 commissioner, 2 mayoral) to the MyWHaT survey. These will run in the order that responses were received, one per day during the week and two each on Saturday and Sunday in the order of Michael EstesJim CarruthersBarbara Budros, Robert Donick, David Ford, Patrick McGuire, Timothy Werner, Ralph Soffredine and Jeanine Easterday (names with embedded link have already been published).

Please note, the answers are published unedited without annotation. The questions were generated by the MyWHaT advisory council and this contributor. We chose a different path than asking straight-up positions on specific policy or issues. We wanted to get a sense of the person, their individual approaches to life, the public sphere and how they might make decisions.

Comments and endorsements are encouraged on any of these posts. You may even ask questions directly of the candidate, but I can not guarantee that they will respond or even see it. I just ask that we keep it friendly, brief and in-line with our comments policy

Happy voting!

1. Richard Miller
    October 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

At the candidates forum, sponsored on Oct. 11 by the TC Chamber of Commerce and the League of Women Voters, all candidates were asked for position on Proposition 1 validating the present ordinance confirming equal rights for all citizens regardless of sexual orientation.

Mr. Ford alone stated that he does not support the ordinance: all the other candidates registered their clear support.

2. October 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

FWIW, I think he may have misinterpreted the proposal. I believe he said something to the effect of not wanting one group to receive preferential treatment over another, and that’s why he didn’t support it.

3. R. Shimel
    October 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

No misinterpretation by Mr. Ford. He signed the petition to get it on the ballot. Yes, I have all the signatures.

4. Max
    October 24, 2011 at 6:04 am

The preferential treatment (aka “special rights”) argument is typical propaganda created by those who perpetuate hate and oppose everyone having the same rights. I doubt there’s any misinterpretation on his part.

5. Max
    October 24, 2011 at 6:14 am

Walkscore A+? Are there walkscore calculators that give letter grades? If Soffredine can manage to figure out a proper answer, why can’t this guy? Easterday and Estes, too for that matter? I typed “walkscore” into Google and a walkscore site and calculator was the first hit. I’d have a hard time voting for people who can’t do the most basic research (or provide an email address).

6. Chris Page
    October 24, 2011 at 7:07 am

exactly, walkscore doesn’t use letter grades. It is as if he stated what he thinks his walkscore should be (perfect) when he could have simply looked it up – he has a 77 which is a good score after all. Just as he has perfected his means of transportation about town.

What I was hoping for is an explanation of some of the strange accounts he follows on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/dfordtc/following (the female g spot?)

And I too think Mr. Ford understands Proposal 1. There is a certain viewpoint that believes non-discrimination ordinances are actually discrimination against the groups not protected. (that is, these laws “elevate” the protected groups). They say they want equal rights not special rights. As if the 14th Amendment’s Equal Protection Clause got rid of all discrimination back in 1868. However, legal rulings have been consistent with these non-discrimination ordinances as exercising the 14th Amendment protections.

Yet you’ll hear about folks who make repealing the 14th Amendment part of their platform. So either non-discrimination ordinances are incompatible with the 14th Amendment and unconstitutional, or these ordinances are consistent with implementing the amendment and so the 14th needs to be repealed to suit their beliefs. They can’t have it both ways.

7. October 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

It looks like his Twitter account has been all but forgotten (last post 2010) and it appears that follow list is more a result of spam and a lack of maintenance of the account than anything else. Personally, I’m more interested in positive endorsements in the comment fields of these surveys.

FYI, the survey question pertaining to Walk Score included a URL to http://www.walkscore.com next to it.

8. Max
    October 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I was under the impression that you have to deliberately press the “follow” button if you want to follow an account, is that incorrect? Is there a way for spammers to trick you into automatically following them or something?

And why only positive endorsements? If you can’t take criticism, you shouldn’t be running for public office!

9. October 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm

For certain… criticism is expected. I only stated that I’m more interested in positive endorsements.