Look Ma! This Week’s Weekly Chatter Written No-Handed
Have you been to the Great Lakes Bioneers Conference?
It’s crazy to think, but the annual conference is in the 10th year in Traverse City and set for next weekend, Friday-Sunday. This year’s theme is right up the MyWHaT alley: “Reclaiming the Commons” and kicks off with a keynote by nationally acclaimed author on public spaces Jay Walljasper Friday morning.
On Saturday, your’s truly is leading a discussion about the value and power of consequential strangers, a term adopted from a book by Melinda Blau and Karen L. Fingerman. Other topics include issues in education, agriculture, energy, sustainable economics and health.
Online registration is closed. Walk in registration is open each day of the conference.
- The attraction of walkable, dog-friendly places (WaPO) and how “messy” street patterns boost walkability. (Vancouver Sun) * Makes me miss Macau
- LMB asks, what should every driver know? (LMB-FaceBook)
- Where do all the cars go after a road conversion? No where, really. (Dom’s)
Overflow car trips do not occur after a road diet. Motorists tend to continue to enjoy driving on the now more attractive, calm street, even if it means the loss off a few seconds in their trip.“
- Questioning the burden the car places on communities (UrbanOmnibus)
- Visual bike rack tour of Portland (P-Mercury)
- Polluters tax for sprawl ruled legit (NRDC) and yet, there remains an allur to living in the ‘burbs (Grist) or, is there? (NYTimes) The love affair certainly has its costs (Strong Towns)
- The transformation of a single block in Grand Rapids (Rapidian) –>
Warren has transformed into a block of young professionals, families, community activists, and hipsters who draw a significant crowd on Sunday evenings for four-square games.”
- What’s your favorite 3rd place in your community? (SustainableCities)
- Positive history of Complete Streets (Nation)
Burning clean, white-hot anger to power our cars (The Onion) ->
- RT Maddz4planning: For each additional hour you spend in a car, you have a 6% higher risk of obesity.
- RT Earthywoman: Leadership is doing what is right when no one is watching. – George Van Valkenburg
MikeLydon “A true conservative would oppose our current practice of distorting the free market by subsidizing cars over other forms of travel” -Adler
- RT ccoletta ccoletta “Creativity is just connecting things..” – Steve Jobs
Enjoy the weather! Go practice these 50 no-handed bike moves.
There’s no time like today to have a weekend.