Who’s Walking, A2 is Busing, 1 More Rides a Bike, We All Are Driving Less
I was riding my bicycle hyper-aware of following all the traffic rules this week. What I discovered? There is no better way to piss off people who are driving cars than following all of the traffic rules to the T. Why are some in such a hurry? It takes a bit to get off the line, chill out.
With that, I’m out until Tuesday.
- Ann Arbor sees 7% increase in use of The Ride (Concentrate)
- Those socialists! (UrbanCountry) while, smart cities attract bicyclists, make some $$, & celebrate freedom (BikeRadar)
As free Americans we should be able to choose how we get from point A to point B, and no matter what mode of transportation we chose, we should be able to get there safely.”
- WTF? Tennessee mom arrested for allowing daughter to ride bicycle to school (Bike Walk TN)
- A fish in need of a bike (Ding!Ding!)
- The transformative gas station (PatternCities) –>
- Some science behind emotionally intelligent signage (Guardian) Or, why no smoking signs cause smokers to want to smoke.
Sometimes the best solution to a problem is to forget you had one.”
- As Gas Tax debate heats up, still dangerous to call it a “user fee” (WaPO) * Call it a tax and raise it.
- I started the week writing about bicyclists & the law (MyWHaT). A story about new lawyers focusing on bicyclists rights (NYTimes) leads a Michigan lawyer to write why he doesn’t trust crash reports (MI Auto Lawyers) Two lessons:
- Police reports are often wrong and often erroneously blame the bicyclist.
- In bike accident cases, there’s always a strong predisposition to blame the bicyclist.
- RT drgrist: The fact that the post I’m starting is going to be super-long & boring & far less viewed than a lawn chair picture is sapping my motivation.
RT tomvanderbilt: If a car striking a cyclist raises the refrain ‘they shouldn’t be on the road!’, by that logic what do we say when one car strikes another?
- RT JennzieofBenzie: Have a beautiful day!! #BeTheGood #BeKind
- RT ehooge: Cities need places where you can sit and watch… Just like looking into a mirror!
- RT jimbruckb: “money spent to build parking spaces in the U.S. is more than the value of all the cars using those spaces” – Donald Shoup, UCLA
- RT lebo_diseko: #Libya. Wow!