What If Public Space Was Designed Like An iPhone?
Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design.”
~ Dieter Rams, renowned industrial designer
I’m not a designer; I’m a consumer and I appreciate design that is intuitive, informative, sharp. Dieter Rams has inspired clean design that fits this idea for decades.
“Design should not dominate things, should not dominate people. It should help people. That’s its role.” This applies to tiny gadgets as well as public spaces; entire cities.
Treat yourself for 7 minutes. This video will help you think today.
via BrainPickings (Thank you)
Ram’s Ten Principles of Good Design
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design helps us to understand a product
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is honest
- Good design is durable
- Good design is consequent to the last detail
- Good design is concerned with the environment
- Good design is as little design as possible