Home > Visual Stimulus > A High Priority Sidewalk That’s Annually Ignored

A High Priority Sidewalk That’s Annually Ignored

Utilized: Social Trail

Image sent in by John Robert Williams along with this message: ”Sidewalks, unplowed, are third-rate social trails. What are more important: cars or people?”

8th Street bridge across the Boardman River. What’s really sad about this trail is that it is a corridor of significance for people traveling on foot. Still, every year it literally becomes impassable. It’s often much worse than John’s image shows. It says a lot about our priorities that this is ignored every year. It’s not like the City doesn’t know about it; the Governmental Center is within sight.

What’s the solution? Here’s an idea: let’s start by presenting a shovel to the city manager. It’d be a nice gesture to have him step up to the challenge of personally seeing that this bridge is walkable year-round.

What’s your solution? How many creative solutions can we generate here? I promise to collect all the suggestions submitted and present them to the city manager and city commission. One rule, let’s keep it to something that they could carry out immediately.

NOTE: Rumor has it that this bridge is set to be resurfaced in the near future (details yet unknown). I don’t know about you, but I think it’s a perfect time to push for a road diet from Boardman to Lake St. including adding a 8 foot sidewalk and bike lanes.

Thanks JRW, ding-ding.

1. Matthew Ross
    December 16, 2010 at 10:54 am

May be I am not PC for saying this, but let’s put the prisoners to work. I see them doing summer work all the time.

2. December 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I put sidewalk and street snow removal on Monday night’s CC agenda, partly for public education and partly to take suggestions for improvement. Come on by or send us an email!

3. Bill Palladino
    December 17, 2010 at 9:19 am

Last week I stopped while riding my bike to help a 60ish year old man in obvious distress trying to get through this exact spot. He was trying to get to the government center to catch a BATA bus to go to the hospital. He had blood clots in his legs he said, that’s what was causing him pain. I asked if he needed an ambulance and he said he didn’t want one because he had no insurance and that he just needed help getting to the bus stop. If I’d had a car, I would’ve driven him myself. As it was I just set my bike down on the spot and walked with him holding my shoulder till we reached a clear sidewalk at Boardman Ave. Thanks for posting this photo Gary. It’s a frequent and troublesome sight.

4. December 17, 2010 at 9:25 am

A story all too common. Thank you for posting.

FYI, if it still needs it, tomorrow at 10AM a citizen crew is going to scrape this section of 8th down as best we can.

10AM. 8th St. bridge. Bring your shovel.

5. December 17, 2010 at 9:30 am

Thank you Mayor. We will try to get you a list of recommendations.

6. Franny Bluhm
    December 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Last night I intended to walk from Old Town to the Library for an evening event there. I got as far as this bridge and risked turning an ankle on the unplowed snow, so I decided to turn back – went and got the car. Even when our intentions are to be ecological, we are at times thwarted by unavailable walking trails.

7. Whitney
    December 18, 2010 at 11:25 am

Gary, I’ve always really enjoyed your blog. But after moving to nashville four months ago and trying to ride around here, I wanted to remind you how lucky you are up there in TC. On the snowiest day in TC, the streets are much friendlier for cyclists than on the most beautiful day in other cities across the country. Thinking about my ride to work along the Boardman Lake Trail, TART Trail, and the bike lane on State St, makes me miss that area so badly.

Here, I work 9 miles from where I live, but have to drive on three expressways to get there. The car rules in Tennessee. I’ve gotten connected with another cyclist here and she’s shown me how to get around the fashionable parts on town by bike, but it involves a lot of winding around to find the bike lanes and so-called bike routes. You’re very lucky to have the momentum and interest in biking in TC. I just wanted to say, well done! You and JRW and the others are making progress there! Come to Nashville next!

8. December 20, 2010 at 11:09 am

Thank you for your comments and perspective from Nashville. We do have a head start on many places in need of some repair. Your perspective is good to keep in mind and is also one reason in can be so frustrating.

FYI, these just popped-up on my radar:

Aerial Views of Nashville. YOWZA, sprawl-ville.

Not sure how different Memphis is, but these bike commuters recently received some attention there.

1. December 16, 2010 at 8:20 am