A Truncated Weekly Chatter: Entitled Motorists, Troubled Engineers, Bike Safety & Revolution…Plus, My New T-Shirt
Before you read on, please answer the MyWHaT winter bike commuting survey.
What answer best describes your approach to bicycle commuting during the winter months?
- Confessions: A Recovering Traffic Engineer –“don’t hate the PLAYER, hate the GAME!”
- Blow-back against evil bike lanes, MyWHaT fan calls it right: “Entitled driver syndrome is a wondrous thing to behold.” NYC DOT explains the different bike lanes being used in the Big Apple (video). Pure evil.
ElsewhereEverywhere, the tea party elects are looking to thwart smart growth and thus transportation choices across the country. The rise of the cynical anti-planners may be political posturing run-amok, nonetheless it’s real. Still, it doesn’t make sense that those against big government are choosing to limit our choices. Luckily there is an alternative movement, and they are arguing t-choice for “fiscal restraint and national security.“
- Is it time for the Bicycle Revolution? (Illustration by Mona Caron) —>
- Study shows bicycling is safe, but we have a lot to discuss to make it better and comparatively safer…but we first must deal with the reality: “cars are such a powerful industry and such a normalized part of our daily lives that even acknowledging the hazards a vehicle presents to anyone other than its occupants is essentially taboo.“
- Looking for a better bus shelter…Toronto’s attempt.
- Should We Hope Congestion Gets Worse?: Do we prefer longer commutes? (@freakonomics)
- UK survey shows that big rigs comprise 4% of traffic but cause 43% of cyclist traffic deaths: (@BicycleFixation)
- There are two kinds of cities: Those making more room for cars & those making more room for pedestrians and transit. #transit #cities (@ccoletta)
Short and sweet, My Black Friday shopping contribution. Available via the folks at Urban Velo’s product department for $12.00. Send one to a few of your more auto-centric relatives. The message is priceless.
Have a turkey.
- New York City’s Disappearing Bike Lanes (environment.change.org)