Home > Visual Stimulus, Walking > The Green City By The Bay

The Green City By The Bay

“Green City By The Bay”

(click for larger view)

Talk about complete streets & amazing parks! “Green City By The Bay“, an illustration of Union St. in TC  by Traverse City artist Dean Connors, communicates many aspirations for the future and encourages us all to keep dreaming.

I’m fortunate; the illustration hangs on the wall near my front door. I’m reminded daily that our auto-dominated micro-urban city has potential that most of us haven’t even considered. I say, “thank you” to Dean for sharing his art and given permission to run it on MyWHaT. Anytime that you want to share a dream, we’d be pleased to offer the virtual venue. As well, I still have open wall space at home.

What do you think, want to see more dreams from Dean?

1. lcm
    November 11, 2010 at 9:39 am

Very cool! Thanks for sharing Dean. I’d love to see more!

2. November 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

WAY cool!!

3. May 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

Definitely want to see more! I think people need to see the potential in “black and white” (and color) to understand what people like you are pushing for.

4. Nancy Griesinger
    April 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This idea is the most beautiful one I have ever seen proposed for our “City By the Bay.” Dean Conners should be honored royally for this thought. Talk about wooing “young professionals” to our town….Good Heavens, this would be far more enticing than yet another tacky Wake Festival or enlarging the already tacky Cherry Festival. Everyone in Traverse City should see this painting and dream with Dean Conners. Lovely, just plain lovely.

5. Don
    April 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Oh please! Get a grip folks.. so now you limit people coming to and enjoying TC and the surrounding area by limitig the streets they can motor to and from on. Real bright. Next you’l be telling us that roundabouts are great for peddestrians to use as cross walks as commerce brings your organic cheese and free range chicken gizzards to your local store!! Limiting the transportation/motorist/commerce routes means highly inflated prices.

Truck companies already cringe at the fact of coming to TC due to the narrowing of the roads and the bicyclists hoggig highway lanes..
    It’s also laughable in winter when the plow trucks scrape and chunk the Wesbster St. circles or the narrowed street endings/intersections elswhere so you can get to work or ply your veggie roll-up at the market with freshly plowed and cleaned streets. .
    Yes Get a grip folks, nice artwork, no common sense!.

6. April 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you, Nancy, for re-livening this post from the archives with your comment. I also appreciate Dean’s creative re-visioning of what it means to live in a City.

I’m tempted to leave Don’s hostile comment alone, but he hooked me with “free-range chicken gizzards” comment–Yum!

I think the correct question to be asking is, does it make sense to design an entire city street grid and intersections to accommodate the largest trucks. Or, is it more prudent and conservative to right-size the trucks to better fit a city where people want to live? There are many examples where vibrant communities exist, and thrive, without the benefit of 18-wheelers rolling through their Front St.

And yes, well designed and appropriate sized roundabouts are excellent treatments for pedestrians–both the data and the anecdotal experience show that.