Happy Town USA, Big-D Love, Ending Car Welfare, Bike Blogger Down…Weekly Chatter
Editor’s Note: The list of topics I’d like to write about keeps getting longer and my time to do so seems to be getting shorter. It’s a problem; I need some help prioritizing.
And so I ask: What’s got your interest about public space? What do you think MyWHaT should cover in the next 2-3 months? Please comment or send me message. Thanks!
- Happy Town, USA‘s to do list.
- In the U.S., the census results show a steady increase in people on bikes.
- In China, hipsters putting Niubi back into the bike. 牛屄 niubi=cool, hip.
- Here again, car enthusiasts continue to lament their loss of cool. Truth About Cars asks: “Are Cars Still Cooler than Phones?“ Dude, seriously, can your car do this?
- Traffic Calming gets messy: (AP) “A Massachusetts woman has been charged with throwing a bag of dog feces into the face of a passing motorist.”
- Absolute Michigan’s Requiem for Detroit, gathering all that’s Big-D. Meanwhile, Johnny Knoxville’s Detroit Lives continues to be leaked out. Latest excerpt:White Girls On The Run.
- Finally, someone writes what I’ve meant to: Tea-Party, help us end motor vehicle welfare.
- Related, how do we pay for these roads anyway? The gas tax isn’t working, why not a tax on miles driven and peak hour pricing taxing.
- Sprawl-ville from space: Using Google Earth, the Big Picture ran a set of developments in Florida that were part of the real estate boom. Many of the homes now sit empty, and in some cases, the homes were never.
- Election time! Amongst GOP candidates, not a lot gubernatorial love for rail. Not sure about Michigan’s Candidates.
- Two 2010 Ig Noble awards announced! Of MyWHaT interest? slime mold used to optimize railroad routes and, in time for winter, a demonstration that on icy footpaths people “slip and fall less often if they wear socks on the outside of their shoes.” Ah, fascinating.
- Riding bike around town to clear my thoughts and find motivation #TVC (@aSirensSailor)
- Great BATA experience. I’ll be riding more, guaranteed. Thanks to “Gary” on the TC Exp. route for a great ride. (@joelga)
- “Young or old, profligate or prudent…many Americans have little idea of the true financial cost of car ownership.” (@lutzfernandez)
- Yes – even your hybrid contributes to congestion RT @FreePublicTrans: better cars = more sprawl (@Maddz4planning)
- “People who speed from here to there in their cars aren’t inclined to be ‘custodians of their neighborhoods.” (@JanesWalkPhx)
To wrap, a twitter extra: A series of tweets by @BikeShopGirlcom after she was in a crash while riding her bicycle last weekend. It’s shaken her up and her website currently reads, “I’m not really ready to post too many details” and directs readers to read her Twitter feed. Here is the narrative after the accident:
- Oct. 1st, 6:48 PM: Hit by a car….ambulance ride..er..waiting on ct…had to pee .. may per the bed
- 6:53 PM: Back and hip are messed up…could have been so much worse…. have neck brace and backboard.. still waiting on cat scan
- Oct. 2nd, 12:17 PM: He must not have seen me and gunned it to make the light and left turn. He immediately saw me, but it was too late, and I had no where to go
- 12:19 PM: The car slammed into the rear of my bike& possible my leg. Thank goodness I had my big mission workshop bag on as it took most of the fall
- 12:25 PM: Physically I’m hurt mainly in the hips and back. I won’t be walking without assistance for a few days. Sitting or standing is the worst
- 12:27 PM: Mentally I am really screwed up. I’m a safe rider and this was a calm afternoon and bike commute. Nothing i could have done different. Scary
- 12:29 PM: Bicycling, commuting & encouraging others to do the same is my life. I was just hurt badly by that lifestyle..not sure how to swallow that
- Oct. 6: I hate to say it, but I’m looking for a daily driver car or small truck now
The archive of material on her website is worth review while she regroups –> www.BikeShopGirl.com. Best wishes to Bike Shop Girl and I look forward to her publishing return.
Have a weekend!