Home > Announcement, Complete Streets > Paint is cheap: TC experiments at 10th and Lake

Paint is cheap: TC experiments at 10th and Lake

After meeting with a group of Old Town residents, the City is experimenting with some paint at the corner of Lake Ave. and 10th St. (map) next to Oryana. There is a striped center line leading to and around the corner, a painted bump-out, fresh parking delineation (previously none), and a crosswalk. This is a notorious intersection for high speeds and drivers oblivious to the abundant people on foot and bicycle. We tried deputized penguins, but they flew the roost.

I watched for a while, with and without the cones, and have to say…the cones were really effective in slowing down traffic in this crazily wide and out-of-context intersection. Without the cones…well, it’s an experiment, we shall see.

Been to the corner? What do you all think?

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Reminder: Before commenting, please read the comments policy. If you feel you need to rant against the world while raising enumerable tangential issues to personally attack individuals or organizations, consider creating your own blog and tracking back to MyWHaT. If it is of value, you will attract readers. Or, send me a message with all the rants you wish; I’m a connoisseur of ranting. Otherwise, please contribute to a healthy, friendly discussion in the comments section below.

Blank Here

1. Jennifer
    November 15, 2012 at 9:48 am

So happy to see this. Wish the penguins would have been enough, but alas, I hear they may be returning to the traffic circle on Webster.

2. November 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

Man, word travels quick…

I forgot to add, wonder if Old Town residents would be interested in something a bit more inspired a la Intersection Repair. It could be an annual coming together.

Intersectionrepair

3. November 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

Glad to see the city experimenting….hope to see more of it!

4. November 15, 2012 at 11:38 am

I had to drive it and was amazed at how it changed my approach. Adding a parking spot marking on the NW corner would contribute as well. I am surprised it was the City! When I drove it I thought “huh, somebody must have given Gary a paint bucket”

5. November 15, 2012 at 11:58 am

I like the Intersection Repair idea. I’ve seen some done well. The picture above might be distracting but mostly a concern in high-traffic or high-speed areas, otherwise great for residential flare.

The bumpout across from Oryana, however, is asking to be painted. It could even be depaved and turned into a mini pollinator garden but, then again, paint is indeed much cheaper. Any plans for something like that?

6. Megan Olds
    November 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I am a huge fan of the new paint. Many thanks to City staff for listening to neighbors and experimenting by trying something new at this corner.

7. Max Wolf
    November 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

I like it, but think the cones should come back. I’ve had a lot of problems (on my bike) with drivers on that short section (heading west to east toward the TART). I can’t figure out why they are in such a hurry to pass me there when it doesn’t take me more than a few seconds to get through on my bike.