From a local-government meeting (RE) near us all, a frustrated voice screams out via the wireless beauty of text message:
One day multi-modal facilities will be considered infrastructure just like sewer, roads, storm water. One day dammit!“
For all of us who’ve been there, done that, we hear you and share you’re pain. You’re doing great things, Julie Clark of TART Trails–keep it up! 继续努力吧! jìxù nǔlì ba!
- Get people to walk more? (bbc) Walk Raleigh (WR) let’s them know how long it will take getting there on foot (Sierra) …but, not so fast (NOb)–>
- Making public spaces comfortable for public happiness (Atlantic Cities) for the young, but especially the elderly (Salon) Can I get a bench here?
- Advice about rising gas prices? Think long-term, avoid buying it (Grist) and a reminder of why gas prices get to us anyway (Huff) If only there was a magic wand (Hill)
- Making the case for taxes for things, things like investing in the future (The Economist) makes a lot more sense then “drill and drive” (Grist)
- Cost of the extra 1.28 cars in the avg driveway? $186,425.03 (SCC) and the cost building for speed is costing cities real change as well (BCT)
Whoever is in charge of branding
For the Lorax’s mula-making machine -
Have you read the book you’re hijacking?
Did you misinterpret what it means?
- Occupy this! Women in Guangzhou tired of waiting for the toilet (WSJ) The revolution begins (Sea Spring Comics) –>
- Connecting place with public health–”I got my driver’s license and I gained 20 pounds” (NYTimes) Related: Walk With a Doc and WalkDenver
Why does GM think peer-to-peer car share is a grand idea? (Time) 1) they know our cars just sit there 92% of the time and 2) the future will be collaborative (Sharable) because collaborative consumption just makes sense (The Mesh)
We have moved into an era where access to good services and talent trumps the ownership of them.”
Gas is a tax on economies, not an engine of it. And walkability is a tax cut.—
patrick kennedy (@WalkableDFW) February 22, 2012
Quote of the Day: "If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking."—
Every Body Walk (@everybodywalk) February 20, 2012
Have a weekend!
* Note: I will be experimenting this upcoming week by posting articles and curiosities that I’d normally save for the end of the week chatter to the MyWHaT Tumblr. I’ll run a reminder at the end of next week.
Want to help fight traffic zombies? Your contribution will help.