Also, thank you to everyone who voted. It wasn’t that difficult, was it! Now, your job isn’t over. The one’s fortunate to be elected need your help. They won’t often ask for it, but they need your support in prioritizing the values of the community. The following contact page will help you contact them on issues, but don’t feel you can’t invite anyone of them to coffee at anytime–engage and represent.
- Hickory Hills gets deserved community love with new book “Light the Night” (RE) and the similar story of Jackson Hole’s municipally run ski hill (NYTimes)
- TC’s city commission explores priorities (RE) I addressed a few on Wednesday and suggest another– revisiting the potential for Granny Flats (ADU.org)
- +1 the new Your Commute feature on Walkscore (Walkscore)
- A2 rolls out the electronics to assist oblivious drivers (A2.com) while one blogger highlights the obliviousness with The Driver Privilege Checklist (scintillator) From the list of 12:
#9. I can complain to friends, family, and aquaintances about minor accidents and other annoyances without being told that I should stop driving.”
- An example of how we create this “privilege”–> timed traffic signals. (Atlantic Cities)
- What keeps us here, what will keep us here: sense of place (MLUI) and related PPP defines “Place Capital“(PPP)
How we channel human, social, economic, infrastructural and cultural capital into the generation of Place Capital effectively determines a community’s success in attracting and spawning further wealth generators.”
- “On a bike, the city shrinks.” (NYTimes) on federal land, congress may force you off of the road(BLeague) Tell the Senate that bikes have a right to the road (Petition)
For centuries, pedestrians had undifferentiated dominion over both the sidewalks and the roadbed — sidewalks were not pedestrian cattle pens, but off-limits zones for vehicles. “The street” meant the entire open area, from building line to building line.“
- RT Velocentric: Todays lesson: it doesn’t matter if you’re on foot or 2 wheels – drivers hate you. Your safety means nothing vs their time.
- RT copenhagenize: Heard a cool statement: “Bicycles save more lives than helmets ever can”
- RT DPGilmartin:”We have disconnected performance of our
#transportation system from performance of our neighborhoods” #EoP #placemaking #nlc11
- RT bikinginla: ”If the lane is too narrow for a bike and car to share, it’s not because the bike is too wide.” – Ryan Snyder
- RT @everybodywalk: Fill in the blank: Despite the _________, I´m going to get my 30 minutes of walking in!
- RT webb: Social media works where there’s a will and appetite for change.
@causes says building a community starts with a committed person. #sm4np (Are you committed?)
Have a weekend.