Great people watching during the TC Film Festival. While I was sitting in one of TC’s user funded parks, I couldn’t help but notice all of the walkers and bike riders. Bike parking is an issue though.
Don’t forget Auto*Mate Saturday evening at 6pm. Reclaim the streets on your way to this film about the “call to arms” against the tyranny of the automobile.
- We begin with An urgent public health priority: “Traffic is the leading cause of death among children worldwide and the leading cause of death among 1-34 year olds in the United States. So, why isn’t traffic considered the top threat to public health by the CDC, WHO and federal, state and local governments?” We care little about it; ignorance is bliss.
- So, you want to see a sexy parking garage, check this baby out. $65 million, for 300 cars is only a portion of the story.
- London’s bicycle superhighways are rolling out and getting used. One MyWHaT reader asked, “what if we could create bike commuter routes coming in from Long Lake, Lake Ann, East Bay, etc..” Can we start with a few bike lanes in town? Or, have a rational discussion about a proven traffic tool?
- Velo-City 2010 Conference: Opening American eyes in Copenhagen (video).
- When we get behind the steering wheel, we’re not as rational as we think; not even close. Behavioral economists weigh in on how and why we predictably exhibit “irrational tendencies.” Hence, it makes sense that those who drive less should be awarded for staying off the road.
- As our roads deteriorate from lack of funding, the hidden costs continue to rise.
To wrap, we will give some face time to John Lindemayer of Healthy Kids Healthy Michigan to talk about Complete Streets and the passing out of legislature of Michigan’s Complete Street bills. It’s about providing a “multitude of options.” Good work to all of the individuals and organizations that work via the Michigan Complete Streets Coalition to pass this bill. We’re not in Shangri-la, but we have another useful tool.
KUDOS to the policy wonks who made it happen!
Have a weekend, not everyone gets one.